View Single Post
Old 01-22-17, 07:33 PM
turnips

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
revive a thread?

I picked up an ultraleggera this week. it was seized by the city for being locked in the same place too long, then donated to an outfit that teaches recently homeless folks to wrench on bikes. the nicest bikes they receive are sold to fund the program, and the rest go to graduates of the program who fix them up. seems like a pretty great program.

the bike looks to be mostly original, with a couple of exceptions. the front derailleur has been swapped with a 600 model that seems to have been bent up a bit and doesn't work. there weren't any pedals on it. the stem and bars are newer. and, most importantly, the seatpost isn't original.

about that seatpost: I'm wondering if it's a smaller diameter than it should be. it clamps down pretty solidly and doesn't move, but the binder bolt has pulled the outside faces of the clamp ears (forgive my lack of vocabulary) together so that they aren't parallel. I looked at all of my other bikes and several of my roommates' bikes (sample size is six steel bikes) and this hasn't occurred on any of them, which makes me suspicious.

so, in case anybody who would know is still reading this thread, what's the proper seatpost diameter?