Old 01-24-17, 12:50 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Add Continental Speed Rides to the tires rumrunn6 suggested. Excellent all rounder 700x42 tires (nominal, actually closer to 38 wide) for pavement and modest trails. I run 'em soft for rough roads, around 50 psi, and up to 60-65 psi for better pavement. Very easy on my damaged neck and back with my rigid fork mountain bike. I tried three sets of most-terrain tires before settling on the Conti Speed Rides and plan to wear 'em out and get 'em again.

I thought about trying wider tires too for a cushy ride. No problem with the frame, but the front derailer cable clamp bolt would rub with anything wider. Only way I could run wider tires with this mountain bike is to convert it to a double chain ring or possibly a single.

Unfortunately the 700x42 tires are too wide for the SKS fenders that came with the bike, but I may get some quick attach/detach splash guards for this bike and save the SKS fenders for a more general purpose bike.

Another reason I probably won't add regular fenders to the mountain bike is a few times riding off road I've snagged some debris -- small fallen tree limbs, large bits of dried brush with tough stems -- that might have tangled a fender and tossed me overboard.