View Single Post
Old 01-27-17, 01:00 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
I am fairly certain that what you have is a 1983 Aristocrat. The 1982 date may come from component date codes or the serial number, both of which may date to late 1982. The Aristocrat was the replacement for the Super Gran Tour XV. If you check the 1982 catalogue on Velobase you will see that there is no Aristocrat but the the Super Gran Tour XV is similarly spec'd, with the major difference being the triple crank. I have a dated 1983 spec sheet that lists the Aristocrat and the model numbers are the same as those used for the Super Gran Tour XV, right down to the colour code! There's no Aristocrat in the 1985 catalogue and I doubt it existed in 1984, as 600EX was replaced by New 600EX in 1984. The evidence suggests that the Aristocrat was a single year model, unless Ross reused the name.
Thanks for taking the time to look, T-Mar. I had seen Velobase, but haven't really used it much.
I've bookmarked it for future reference.

1983 puts it one year after the TK Signature bikes appeared, so there may well have been some influence in the design. That would make sense. And now I get to go and research Merlin! This bike hobby rabbit hole just goes deeper and deeper...

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!