marciero

Bikes: 2005 CoMotion Speedster, 2014 Cannondale T2, various single bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
https://www.flickr.com/photos/430814...shares-ME6266/

The link above shows the DIY brake booster I made for a pair of Avid BB7's. No booster was necessary until I installed the inline Travel Agents so the long pull calipers could work with the short pull Tektro levers after the drop-bar conversion. There are now TRP Spyres on this tandem and compressionless housing is recommended by TRP except for a small amount of regular housing near the lever.

Even on a tandem, the rear brake is prone to locking up before the front and a huge amount of power simply isn't necessary back there. IMO going full hydraulic would be a terrible waste of money. What you want to do is make sure that whatever cable you are using for the rear brake has no kinks or frays and ideally it will be waxed or lubricated in some way. Housing should not have tight turns Even if you have most of the run to the rear caliper free of housing it only takes one tight turn in the housing to make the rear caliper stick. I got the springs for the booster from Home Depot and cut them with a borrowed pair of metal snips. They do add back pressure at the lever but I got used to it. Better braking, and an improved handshake: win-win.
So you've replaced with Spyre's? Do you still use the Travel Agents? I note that the rotor on the bike pictured appears to be rather small, like 160mm. Replacing with 200mm rotors would greatly improve the braking, as braking force is proportional to the ratio of rotor radius to wheel radius.