View Single Post
Old 02-01-17, 08:48 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10904 Post(s)
Liked 7,396 Times in 4,149 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
Look at enough bikes and it's obvious a huge portion of the frames are either designed by the same handful of people who all learned about what makes a good bike frame of they're copying each other. One recent one I got a chuckle out of is the 2016 Mongoose Selous Expert and the 2016 Haanjo Comp. Frames are essentially the same with some minor differences. With the same wheelset they ride almost exactly the same. The 2015 and earlier Selous Expert was the same frame as the 2013 Scattante Dx350 with a flattened top-tube.
Did I not pull the correct pics? The Selous and Haanjo models you mention arent the same. The seatstays alone are wildly different. Or is that one of the 'minor differences' you mention?
If you compare 2 aluminum frame carbon fork adventure/gravel bikes that are in their 2nd or 3rd year of production, I wouldnt be surprised to see similarities. Each bike will have had an opportunity to be redesigned and take advantage of what is currently popular. They will each have disc brakes, a straight fork most likely tapered at this point, similar geometry since geometry is being further and further defined for what makes a certain type of bike(in all categories)...just not sure why its a surprise for them to share similar characteristics.

But to me, these arent the same frame. I consider 'minor differences' to be something like the Mongoose has 2 bottle mounts inline on the downtube. A totally different looking seatstay isnt, to me, a minor difference. That isnt even getting into anything else that looks different.
These bikes arent the same frame with different paint and logos.

Along the lines of this topic- the dropouts on a VeloOrange Piolet are the same(i believe) as a Soma Saga. Are they the same bike or, like components, do frames share common designs at this point?

2016 Mongoose Selous Expert

2016 Diamondback Haanjo Comp

Lemme know what I am missing here...