View Single Post
Old 02-07-17, 12:30 PM
Tycho Brahe 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by cthenn
Posting this question because of a bike theft post in the NorCal section. The poster had mentioned the thief had used some kind of garage door decoder to open the door. Do you have a similar type of garage door with a remote opener? I'm wondering how common something like this is. I keep some of my bikes in my garage, and would have to come up with some kind of security measure if thieves are walking around with universal garage door openers...
Most garage door openers are set via on/off pins. Since most system use 10 pins, that means only 2^10 permutations, which is only 1024 possibilities. Enough not to interfere with the same code as your neighbor, but easy for a hacker to scan through.

I must admit, when I first read the title I felt bad for the OP. I had my a bike stolen a couple of years ago, and I was heartbroken. But then I read the post and I also was perplexed when the OP said they did not notice. I was shocked by that statement. Must be nice to have so much space to lose focus of your belongings. Of course, I would not have said anything since that is not the point of the post, still shocking.