View Single Post
Old 02-11-17, 04:40 PM
feijai

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by berlinonaut
If you want a dropbar the Brompton is not for you. It's that simple. You would not complain that a Ferrari is really bad for fitting off-road-tires, would you?
That's not the point of my posting. The point was: Bromptons have a very specific, important, and useful niche. But outside of that niche they have a huge number of disadvantages. Lots of Brompton boosters here on BikeForums tend to suggest hacks to downplay problems with the bike, thus trying to argue that the things it does poorly aren't really that bad, rather than doing what they *should* be doing, which is promoting the things it does well. I think we should be honest about the failings of our bikes.

I've btw. never made a wheelie by accident with my Brompton and never heard of a person that did. Maybe you should think about your style of riding...
That's not the problem with wheelie bikes. Wheelies are awesome. The problem is general riding stability.

In terms of contact points (including reach) a Brompton is almost identical to a normal bike - different to most Folders including Dahon.
Dude. I've compared Tikits (all three sizes), Dahons (Helix, P8, and D3), and several Bromptons. With a tape measure. When I've done so, the Brompton has *definitely* been a shorter reach than the others. [Mind you this was a couple of years ago -- I know the frame has undergone changes which may have improved things, who knows]

BF btw. kind of stopped producing the Tikit by raising it's price to the sky wheras Brompton is building 50.000 a year and just moved to a new factory with the goal of producing 100.000 in the early 2020ies. That probably says something.
You're really using numbers to suggest quality? Seriously?

And I know a lot of happy fellow Brompton riders that at or above my size, up to more than 2m tall.
There are lots of anecdotes. I have a friend who's 6'3" and rides a Brompton. That doesn't mean it's got as good a reach as (say) a Tikit or NWT. It just doesn't. [I have no info on the Pakit reach].

Stress the advantages of the bike. There are many! Downplaying its disadvantages just looks like fanboyism.

Last edited by feijai; 02-11-17 at 04:45 PM.