View Single Post
Old 02-16-17, 01:32 PM
Tim_Iowa

Bikes: 1997 Rivendell Road Standard 650b conversion (tourer), 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10 (gravel/tour), 2013 Foundry Auger disc (CX/gravel), 2016 Cannondale Fat CAAD 2 (MTB/winter), 2011 Cannondale Flash 29er Lefty (trail MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Drops vs flat bars:

Drop bars offer more hand positions, including an aerodynamic position (down in the drops)
Flat bars offer one hand position. More if you add bar-ends, but no aerodynamic position.

Historically, drop bars have been set up below the saddle height, which is too low of a position for many recreational riders. But modern gravel/adventure/whatever bikes are using geometry that allows for a higher bar position (closer to saddle height) that is more comfortable for most rec riders.

Personally, I recommend drop bars at saddle height for the best combination of comfort and efficiency.

Trek's Crossrip is a good candidate, but in my opinion it's a bit heavy.
The upper FX series are nice bikes, but flat bar only.
Trek's touring line (suggested by @kevrider) is another good option. The 520 is comfortable but heavy duty (for loaded touring), the 720 is faster (but can't carry as much, and make sure it has the recall-replacement wheels), and the 920 is burlier than the others (MTB inspired).

Whatever you decide upon, I'd also recommend changing out the heavy, stiff stock tires for some that are as wide as you can fit and are lightweight/supple. That change would allow you to ride the most comfortably on soft surfaces like crushed lime trails (because of the width) and faster/more comfortably on all surfaces (because of the lightweight/supple construction).

If you're heavy (250 lbs or larger), I'd ask your shop some pointed questions about the wheels. Some of Trek's stock wheels are using fewer spokes than most of us would recommend, especially for a heavy rider.
If you're light (200 lbs or less) than you may not need to worry.

Regarding dual-sided SPD pedals: Most of Shimano's "campus" pedals are mediocre. The M324 is cheap and has good grip, but is incredibly heavy. The A530 has terrible grip on the platform side. Most of the Click'R pedals are similar, with smooth ungrippy platform sides. The T780 is only slightly better.
Perhaps there's a Wellgo option that works? I drilled my A530's and added grip pins to the platform side, and now they're pretty decent.