Old 02-21-17, 11:11 AM
snidely
Cycliste sérieux

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can anything be done about the homeless situation on the SART?

The homeless population has grown out of control on the SART, and (IMO) it is becoming a serious safety (not to mention health) issue. We have had several occasions where these "residents" wander into the trail in front of oncoming bikes. The drug use is rampant. The mental health aspect is concerning to say the least. They also seem to be getting the MOB mentality where they just don't care and are getting to be pretty brazen.

And I can't imagine what it has done to the local petty theft rates. These guys have piles of bikes and bike parts in their encampments that are truly astonishing! (Not to mention all of the home goods, generators, etc.)

I'm wondering if there is anything that "regular" users of the trail can do (or who to start raising cain with) to motivate the city to get to work fixing this problem.

IMO, this situation should have NEVER grown to this level. Regular users of the trail are being pushed away, because it's just too uncomfortable to be there anymore. I know I really have no desire to ride there anymore.

Truly a shame.