Old 02-23-17, 08:38 AM
bikerbobbbb

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
If memory serves, OP is not exactly a featherweight, so a 7-speed-on-130mm or 8/9/10-speed-on-135mm hub with the extra spacer on the NDS would be a really good idea.

Is this correct?

Wouldn't an 8-speed cassette be wider than 7 speed? Maybe?

But if the hub is 135mm, wider than 130mm, why would I need a spacer?

Even if 8 vs. 7 is exactly the same size, if the hub is wider at 135mm, why would I need a spacer in the 135mm/8speed set up? Wouldn't I also need one for the 130mm/7 speed set up? Or is a 7 speed cassette an extra 5+mm wide?

Wondering about spacers too, where to get them, what they are exact (specialty "spacer" or just any kind of washer that takes up space. It might be good to have some if it means slightly nudging over the cassette to make with existing gear/shifter settings, ie put a spacer in maybe instead of adjusting the shifting. I was thinking of putting a space on the NDS side there.

But if I put a spacer on the drive size (space, washer, whatever... enough to nudge it over a mm or two), then my gear shifting might fall into the smallest cog that it doesn't seem to reach any more. (I'm switching the wheel out sometime in the near future though, so it might not matter.)

Point being I wouldn't mind having some spacers to experiment with.