View Single Post
Old 02-23-17, 01:02 PM
Bikedud
Sapient

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced SL, Trek 520, Schwinn Paramount Titanium, Fat Chance Wicked, Canondale ST500, All-City Macho Man D, some Mt. bikes and strange stuff

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I have a 1998 Lemond Zurich (853) and 1999 Schwinn Paramount Ti (Serotta) with factory carbon forks, they are currently bare frames hanging in my workshop. The two frames you are looking at are newer and I doubt the Serotta built Paramount is very much like the Merlin. Probably not much help but- Both of my bikes have been ridden extensively on all types of road surfaces with Mavic Kyserium SL wheels and both provide an excellent, albeit slightly different ride quality. Unfortunately, any comments that I could make about ride quality would be purely anecdotal. The Schwinn felt slightly stiffer, but that may have been a factor of the bikes different geometries as much or more than the difference in the characteristics of the two different materials. Both bikes have traditional quill stems which result in a noticeably less stiff cockpit than modern stems and 31.8 Hbars provide. Each bike had specific qualities that were endearing and others that were not so much. I don't think you can go wrong with either, make sure you familiarize yourself with their respective geometries.