Old 02-26-17, 07:43 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, Perfekt 3 Speed -age unknown, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1007 Post(s)
Originally Posted by mibike View Post
I think the best Garmin for long brevets is a GPSMAP 64 or 64s. It uses AA batteries. You can set it to not recalculate the route and display distance to next turn. It will beep before and at the turn and display a large turn arrow. You can have it alarm at controls.
If you have a dynohub, the Garmin 64 is a great choice.

I learned that the Garmin 64 can charge internal NiMH batteries on a different link on this forum, so I bought a Garmin 64. More detail here:
http://www.bikeforums.net/19280740-post66.html

I found that the Garmin would not play well with my Sinewave Revolution USB charger when it is powered directly by my hub, but it worked great with a cache battery in the circuit. The hub powers the Sinewave USB charger, that feeds the cache battery, which then simultaniously supplies the Garmin. The cache battery smooths out the power flow instead of getting a rectified sinewave power curve from the charger, that appears to smooth out the power flow well enough to give the Garmin what it needs.

I do not do rando riding, instead do long bike tours. Got home a few days ago from a 380 mile tour in South Florida. This was my first tour with the Garmin 64. I was self sufficient for all electrical needs with my dynohub, Sinewave Revolution USB charger, cache battery, Garmin 64 for charging AA NiNH batteries, charging cable for my smart phone (it was almost always off, only used when I had wifi) and a USB powered charger for my camera Li Ion batteries. I never needed to plug into an outlet for additional charging.

The hub when used for charging would generally charge up the AA batteries in the Garmin in a couple hours. Then I could run the Garmin many more hours on that charge, during which time I could use the hub output to charge other devices (smartphone, camera batteries, AAA batteries in taillights, headlamp batteries since I was camping, etc.).

Note that if you run a bike headlamp from the hub during the night, you will not get any charge out of the USB charger during that time, a spare set of charged AA batteries for the Garmin could come in handy for night riding.

Regarding routing with the Garmin 64, it gives you options for automobile routing, cycling, tour cycling, mountain biking and as the crow flies. I have not been able to figure out the differences between the types of routing, so I can't speak knowledgeably on that topic. But three different types of cycle routing appear to use bike paths differently. The auto routing appears more likely to put you on busy roads.

I got the plain Garmin 64 and loaded open streets maps from the internet onto it. The 64 does not have the internal compass or internal pressure sensor of the more expensive models, but for my uses that is good enough.