RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Moto Fantom29 ProSL hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by skijor View Post
Altitude is your friend. Get as high as possible. I put an outdoor antenna on my garage after trying an attic antenna. Also added an amp. Oddly, before mounting it, I tried it at ground level just sitting on a garbage can in front of my house [which has steel siding]. It got great reception in that scenario. But when I mounted it on the garage, it didn't do as well. And that was with a 5' mast in a std tripod mount. Later, I re-mounted it on a 10' mast. All is well now. However, I am in a pretty flat area where trees leafing out is the biggest barrier to reception.

Alternatively, is there any chance you could mount it on the side of the structure facing the transmitters, thereby 'collecting/focusing' the signal better.
The west side would face the transmitters to the SW pretty well, but that's the front, I'm pretty sure HOA would notice and ban immediately. Plus I don't know if it would see to the SSE well. In the back, it would be much less obtrusive, and I'm hoping to get away with it.