Old 02-27-17, 08:52 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Agree that the Garmin 64 is bigger than most other GPS units, but I only want GPS units that use AA batteries so that I can use it for kayaking, canoeing, backpacking, etc. I don't want a cycling specific GPS for that reason. But I readily admit that I am probably in the minority in that regard when it comes to touring cyclists.
I said "I prefer" for a reason. That's to imply that it might not be too big for others. I'm suggesting a difference in "taste". Your preference isn't unreasonable at all.

(I got my 800 cheap enough that I wouldn't be too upset if I needed to buy a different unit if the 800 wasn't suitable for other situations.)

I'd like to have some various units to see how they might work differently but I have already spent more time that is reasonable in investigating how the Edges work (not just using them). I also know that there's a lot of commonality between different devices (especially, those made by Garmin).

The Edges have "course points" which, I believe, the non-cycling units don't have.

"Course points" are like waypoints that are part of the track file. They are useful for things like randos (you can use them to monitor the distance to controls).

GPS units are all basically the same but different units have a shift in focus.

1- wilderness (hiking).
2- cycling (motorcycling).
3- automobile (what most people are familiar with).

Many people think the cycling ones work like (are used like) the automobile ones.

Using them more like the wilderness ones is likely going to be more effective but it's a bit more work.

Last edited by njkayaker; 02-27-17 at 09:59 PM.