Old 02-28-17, 11:51 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 940 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
Look for a Shimano Storm Jacket, Dryshield or other similar Shimano rain jacket made during the past five years. Most of them have been discontinued so they were deeply discounted to blowout prices -- $50 or less, a fraction of the original $150-$200 MSRP. Well made, really rainproof jackets, very good attention to detail.

Only problem may be they might not breathe well enough for temperatures over 70F. However it was remarkably comfortable on an unseasonably cool, overcast August day last year in heavy rain when the temp dropped into the low 70s. Even though I was sweating a bit inside the jacket it was much more comfortable than the wind chill from being soaked with rain on a summer day that felt more like early spring.

And it's an outstanding windbreaker for really cold weather. I've worn it in freezing cold dry weather with a long sleeve wicking fabric base layer to stay dry. And I've loaned it to other cyclists on group rides who weren't prepared for unsually cold weather.

I'm planning to have a shop alter my Storm Jacket to add some metal mesh grommets in the arm pits. That will help a lot in temps above the 60s without compromising too much on weatherproofing.
I am not sure you have an understanding of what cold weather is. 70F and rain? I am in a short sleeve jersey and shorts and a huge smile on my face. Try riding in 35F with a wind chill of 19F in a complete downpour. My REI cycling specific rain jacket kept my torso dry. Everything else was soaking wet and I was absolutely freezing. Longest 8 mile commute of my life.