View Single Post
Old 03-01-17, 01:30 AM
tmac100

Bikes: More bicycles than I can ride at one time: 2 custom made tourers, a Brompton 6-speed, and an Indian-made roadster.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion View Post
You should never admit this sort of thing in a public forum.
Nonsense! You did well. If anyone who figures they are in great shape they should step back and do what you tried and then consider what happens when you feel like stopping.

It is more of a matter of "getting into shape". I tour outback Australia unsupported and camp where ever I can. BUT it takes me a couple of weeks to get my body in shape for the 80km/day travel. If riding on dirt/gravel roads (aka the Savannah Way or the Outback Way - google them and look at the pics and route) it takes me a bit longer.

However, carrying less weight is always better than carrying too much stuff. Question is what is "enough". I have wine box "bladders" with 5L of water for extra. They are easy to put somewhere.

I have front and rear racks, 4 panniers, an ortlieb waterproof bag for the back, a frame bag for the triangle, and a handlebar bag. I manage to carry up to 3 days of water and food for a week. yadda.

Enjoy your travels. Start off slowly and build up your body. When tired, stop, recover and push on...