Thread: new to cycling
View Single Post
Old 03-01-17, 09:24 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast, 1997 Bianchi Advantage, 1994 Trek 930.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk View Post
Absolutely true. My point was more that the people giving me advice that I needed a carbon 105 equipped road bike were taking their preferences and needs and imposing them on me. For the type of riding I do, my (admittedly a boat anchor) Le Tour suits me well, and I wish I had just done my own research and gone that route instead of putting off the sport for a year, because they were telling me I needed something I was never going to go out and drop the money on off the bat.

To be honest, I probably could have gone the BikesDirect route and gotten a mid-range road bike for a third that $1500 price tag, and been just as happy, I just chose the C&V path first.
IMO, those people who said you need carbon fiber, full 105 etc...gave you bad advice. Which brings me to my next point. Even entry level, or near entry level from a local bike shop is very good. If you are buying a road bike, your basic 8 speed Claris equipped aluminum bike will function better than a lot of high end bikes from just 20 or 25 years ago. That isn't to say you a $2,000 bike isn't better than an $800 bike. It is. But if you buy a bike shop quality bike from a shop with a decent reputation, it is hard to go too far wrong these days.