View Single Post
Old 03-03-17, 01:50 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1445 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
I avoided suspension stuff on bikes for the longest time. If I'm honest with myself, it was probably just because I didn't want to spend the money on it. I also liked the additional control achievable with a solid frame/fork.

Then I bought a Trek Verve used on Craigslist for a really good deal. I was mostly just looking for a BIGGER bike. This one popped up, a 2015 model Verve 3 with the beautiful Black Pearl/Liquid Blue paint, and I jumped on it. Being one of Trek's higher trim hybrid bikes, it has a (cheap) front suspension fork and a suspension seat post. I also upgraded the tires to 700x42 (nominal, 38mm actual) Continental Speed Rides. I rode it all last summer and was neither here nor there on the suspension stuff. I could take it or leave it, I told myself.

My folks were in town a few weeks ago and my dad and I went for a ride. I let him ride my Trek and I took out my old steel mountain bike. Before we got half a mile, dad said, "boy, this is a smooth bike". "Yeah", I said. We rode for about 10 miles that day (had the kids with us, and that's about all they're good for). This is the first time I've ridden that mountain bike since I put it up after buying the Trek, and the difference is truly remarkable. Even with soft-riding 26x2.0 Michelin Country Rocks (a smooth file tread pattern) aired only to a moderate pressure for comfort, it was much less pleasurable than the Trek. I got back on the Trek the next day, and it was like driving a Cadillac in comparison to a compact pickup. I decided that I was sold on suspension -- for me.

From what you've said about your situation, it sounds like you would enjoy it, too.