Old 03-05-17, 09:22 PM
MrYummieandMe

Location: P-Town, Oregon (Native-born, thank you, very much!)

Bikes: Salsa Marrakesh, 1972 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan View Post
RazorLite is impressively compact though unless the kayak can stow bike/trailer one will need return transport after the boat stages, no?
Yeah, and the salsa isn't quite the bike to kayak with, LOL! In my long post, I probably failed to mention that I wanted to portage with the folding bike. The trailer the bike hauls with the folded yak in it is what holds the bike when you are kayaking. The bike itself folds down to airline carry-on size. In tandem, the yak doesn't way down the bike, and the bike doesn't way down the kayak! Google Bromptons, and Trailer cases for them. It's cool enough to keep me awake researching them.
Originally Posted by AdvXtrm View Post
Nice you found a solution. The only thing that would prevent me from buying a Salsa is the proprietary rack mount. Because of that, I'll never own one.
The proprietary rack mount itself doesn't bother me: I've easily over-loaded the Ortliebs on that rack...think bags of soil from the hardware store heavy. I'm sure the stated 30 pounds or so (or whatever the stats sheet said) is way understating it. I rolled 30 miles with uncomfortably heavy weight on that rack, and it's fine for the duty. What got to me, after the excitement of the new bike had worn off, and the reality had dawned, is that the proprietary dropout which necessitated the proprietary rack made it hard to mount the trailer without some diy'ing ingenuity. As such, those two facts do limit the retro-fittability (?) of the Marrakesh...or rather, as a touring bike, the Salsa, by having proprietary considerations, has built-in limitations. Ideally, a touring bike should perhaps follow a KISS philosophy. Having an exclusive dropout fail on the road is potentially more catastrophic than a rack failure. In hind-sight, I would have restrained my impulsiveness, and been more patient for a LHT, or perhaps I shouldn't have shunned the idea of light-weight materials which probably would not have failed on the road. The Salsa, like the LHT, is pretty heavy. Even after a few thousand miles on it, my legs fatigue and actually cramp on that thing when pulling weight. Not a good portent for distance travelling. But, then again, I think the low mount position and the sheer weight with a loaded trailer works against it being a trailering type of bike. All this said, it's still a nice enough bike for the money, rugged, etc. Just not to be confused with a road bike, LOL!