View Single Post
Old 03-06-17, 10:49 PM
Kevindale

Bikes: 1980 Koga-Miyata Gentsluxe-S, 1998 Eddy Merckx Corsa 01, 1983 Tommasini Racing, 2012 Gulf Western CAAD10, 1980 Univega Gran Premio

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Penbuy
Thanks for your replies. I will take some more pictures to try and show it off more. I itemized some of the components.

Bars Modolo x-ERAS
Brake Levers Diacompe
Brakes Modolo Professional
Cassette 7 speed
Crankset Mavic 172.5
Frame Columbus MS
Front Derailleur Mavic 870 (810 or SSC?)
Hubs Mavic Paris gao Dakar
Rear Derailleur Mavic 801 or 851?
Rims Mavic GL 330 Tubular
Saddle Rolls San Marco
Seatpost Mavic
Shifters Friction
Headset EDCO Competition

Though I’ve owned this bike for a few years now, I have not put much thought or effort into it. My story is this: I’ve only become interested in vintage road bikes over the past several years after being involved with old mountain bikes previously. I discovered this site, and others, as I realized with growing years I was riding my road bike almost all the time. This bike I happened across on consignment at a local bike shop while checking out an old Fat Chance mountain bike. Over time I kept thinking about it and two others there and did enough research to know they were pretty reasonably priced. So I eventually went back and bought them all with the feeling of investing for my future in the hobby. The other two bikes included a Motta Personal 2001R and a Tommaso brand bike from 10 speed imports. I have kept putting off learning about tubular tires and being intimidated by how great of condition this bike is in so it sits while the Tommaso and a Triumph Gran Course are ridden. Also, I have found myself with not that much room left in the garage so I’ve decided to let go some of my hobby items including this bike. I can’t get over how much accumulating I done, particularly with regard to mountain bike frames and components.

The shop owner told me he built it up for the buyer originally and used as many Mavic parts to be in sync with the SST Concorde paint scheme.

Thanks again and I will try and get better pictures soon.
Cool story -- sounds like you hit the road bike jackpot. I don't see many Mavic parts on C&V bikes, aside from wheelsets, so I'm looking forward to the photos. What kind of friction shifters do you have? Velobase.com is a great site for components -- here's the page for the Mavic 801 RD and here's the Mavic 851. My take is this is a Frankenbike build that will hold down the price of the whole bike, and you'll likely get the most $ by parting it out. Or you could give those tubulars a try, and maybe you'll decide to keep it!

Have you posted photos of the Tommaso and Mota Personal here? We'd love to see 'em.