Old 03-07-17, 04:31 PM
Guiyoforward

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by drowling23
Hi, congrats on the purchase. I've had my Joe D24 for just under a year, have had a chance to put it through its paces and customize it a bit. Here are my findings:

* Tyres - generally the Big Apples are nice, but I took them to a country road and quickly got a small crack in the rear tire. Lesson learned, these are city tires.
* For winter seasons I bought and installed Shwalbe Marathon Winter tyres, got them on right now. Very comfy on flat ice, but next to useless on uneven ice.
* Seatpost - I threw away the one that came with the bike and bought a Serfas Rx Cruiser instead. It's a comfy cruiser saddle, again, not cheap but probably the best choice for this kind of bike.
* Handlebars - I've tilted the handlebars up to almost the absolute vertical position, but now I purchased the NC-17 trekker handlebars which should be even more comfy. I decided not to get different grips though because then I'd lose the key in the right grip.
* Mudguards - still struggling to find ones that fit. Tern/Biologic (PremiumBikeGear) do not sell them for the Joe, only other 26" bikes, so you need to shop elsewhere. I'm thinking SKS Bluemells maybe. Currently using cheap $10 mudguards, they suck
* Hardtail bikes hurt. I spent $200 (!) on a Cane Creek Thudbuster ST under the saddle to take some pain away. Doesn't help the wrists though.

Overall, I'd say I've enjoyed this bike quite a bit, but realized it's too small for me: I'm 175/75 so 27.5" tires make a lot more sense for me. Bike feels tiny compared to my other ones. But for a folding bike, it's really awesome, though if I had to go for one now, I'd try avoiding a hardtail.
Thanks for the feedback! There really is too little about this bike on the internet. I have the P24 and I'm very pleased with it. I will certainly change the seat, didn't like it at all. And I find that using the tool to rotate the handlebar is a pain, but used dts101 (http://www.bikeforums.net/members/tds101-313305.html) has added a quick release to his and he will post the results here.
I've been thinking about getting a On-One Mary type of handlebar, but I'm not sure how it will look. Will check your other changes. Can you post some pictures?
Thanks again