View Single Post
Old 03-12-17, 08:16 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4339 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by black_box View Post
Eating pasta by the tons.... how long does it take to make an equivalent pound of pasta? I have a KA mixer, but don't have the pasta attachment.
It doesn't really take that long, but can be messy, so the cleanup can be the worst of it.

I earlier mentioned the possible linkage between those who make their own pasta and those who build their own wheels. I wonder if there's a certain personality type that tends to stuff like this.

I sometimes make my own pasta, and build all of my own wheels, and I see similar ironies in the economics.

Here in NY good boxed pasta can be had at under a dollar a pound, and if one shops sales down to close to half that. Good quality fresh pasta is at least triple the cost, as is semolina flour. So not only do I put in the time and effort, I end up with a product costing me roughly 5 times as much for the privilege.

Wheels are the same way, where home builders often pay more for the rims alone, or rim plus spokes than what a decent production wheel may cost.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.