Old 03-13-17, 12:47 PM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5996 Post(s)
Liked 956 Times in 730 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
It was my understanding that dispersed camping on many public lands was once legal. At least that's what "The Rough Guide to Andalucía" stated. But I have read some more recent Internet stuff that it's not.

When I was touring there I stopped by the side of the road in the Tabernas Desert (where a lot of Spaghetti Westerns were filmed.) Some members of GC in a jeep-looking vehicle with a large machine gun mounted in the back drive buy and gave me some scary looking stares. I thought they were going to stop and give me the 3rd degree.
It's not always about what's legal. The Spanish police is probably more like the French police than the German, legal is not always a guarantee they'll allow you.

Originally Posted by jefnvk
It is worth keeping in mind while route planning that it is far more densely inhabited and built up than people from the middle of America/Canada often imagine, where wild camping may not even be practical.
Good point. There's probably a different perception of distance and space between Americans and Europeans.