View Single Post
Old 03-14-17, 07:53 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
03-10-17

The first thing I did was mount Schwalbe G-One Evo 35mm tires onto an American Classic 29" MTB Race wheelset using tubes. The bike won't be ridden for a while and so it's not time for sealant just yet but I wanted to find out what "difficult to mount" really means. I got what I asked for. My hand still hurts two days later.

The wheels are pretty cool - 32 spoke three cross, 24mm inside width, 1460 grams/pair. I emailed American Classic to ask a question and they gave me a 10% off coupon code. A couple of mountain bikers run these wheels where I trail run. One guy said he pulled some drive side spokes out of the rear rim and his friend said, "Yeah, but he crashes through everything!" I would have preferred hubs which accept Centerlock rotors but as they say, you can't always get what you want.

Wheels measure 24.5mm inside width actual. Tires measure 38.1mm actual at 70PSI with tubes.

Scwalbe rates the G-One Evo at 70PSI max. Lots of soap was applied and even with tubes pumped to 100PSI they consistently failed to seat on the bead in an area adgacent to the valve stem. Eventually I poured soapy water all over the rim bed and they went on. The admonitions to use lots of soap are well heeded. Lesson learned and I may pick up a can of Sleek Beeswax & Mink Oil Furniture Polish as recommended by Gravel Cyclist.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 03-14-17 at 09:53 PM.