Old 03-15-17, 11:25 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by NoControl
Can I pack my gear and stuff INSIDE the bike box? As long as it meets dimension and weight requirements, would it matter? There is stuff that I'd like to take but would not be allowed as a carry-on. I suppose that I'd need to take another suitcase-sized box and check it.
I did without issue, and carried on one of my panniers with my clothes/electronics. That said, some airlines specifically state this is not allowed, as always it is best to know your specific airline's policy. Neither gate agent looked in my box, they simply weighed it, tagged it, and sent me to the oversize screening/drop off area. Security is the only one that looked in my box, and they aren't enforcing airline policy, just looking for dangerous goods.

I'm trying it again on my next trip on the outbound leg, as the airline is mum on the issue. Worst case, I'll have a duffel bag for the return trip (bike going in a clear plastic bag on the return) I'll pull out, and check the stuff.

EDIT: BTW, if you do pack small things in the box, stick them in a pannier, in case a hole gets punched in the side of the box.