Old 03-17-17, 02:25 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by bruised
Hi all,

It's been a tumultuous 12 months…We've decided we want to split from the long harsh Northern WI winters.

We want to move somewhere with a more temperate climate, where she can paddleboard and I can rekindle my love of cycling

We don't want to trade 5 months of cold for 3 months of sweltering heat and humidity. (a month might be doable).

We want somewhere with trails - good, long trails, be they dirt tracks, fireroads, rails-to-trails or whatever. But I need that to be close by, I don't want to have to drive an hour to ride. Mountain bike trails also desirable.

Thinking maybe NC is too hot and humid, as is much of the south east and southcoast. California may be too expensive, unless there's a hidden gem somewherethat's affordable?

Not really into the dry, arid desert states so much largely due to the lack of places to paddleboard.

Do NOT want big city living, work from home so no need to commute.

Artsy Fartsy community would be nice - foodie too...

Does such a place exist? Ideas Please

Thanks

Bruised
Originally Posted by bruised
More great suggestions, thanks.

I worked in Livermore for a few weeks 25 years ago and enjoyed the area a lot. It seems to have really expanded - cost of living too.
Moab UT is on my bucket list for places to cycle, but not so sure about living....I'll research that more.
I like the Columbus OH, suggestion - I'll check that out.

Not sure that I want to leave the USA. 20+ years settled and I love it here. Just time to get out of Wisconsin and start something new. As am typing this we have an ugly wintery mix of ice/sleet with 5" in the forecast for later. It's inspiring, in its own way.
Hi Bruised,

It’s nice to see you posting. I recall your previous regular enthusiastic posts from about 1 to 2 years ago, and we exchanged some chats on the Forums. As a midwestern native myself, I can enthusiastically recommend Metro Boston as a great place to live, cycle and start something new.

For example I recently posted this on the Touring Forum in response to a query of where to visit on a short term tour.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Personally. I'm very happy cycling in Metro Boston, and have posted an informal Cycling Guide to Metro Boston… It may seem parochial, but I think the cycling around here is great. One can be in scenic countryside within about one hour from downtown, while passing through an interesting, compact urban and suburban scene. Furthermore you can extend your range with a convenient Commuter Rail that allows fully-assembled bikes during off-peak hours. In Spring through Fall it’s a temperate climate.

Besides the cycling, Boston is such a popular tourist destination that there will always be something interesting to do off the bike…culture [Artsy Fartsy; seafood, ethnic, and fine dining], nightlife, sports and so forth.

I know you would like to avoid the urban experience, and further out into New England could satisfy that condition….If you’ve never been here before,the experience may be even more…epic.
If you were to consider Columbus, OH. I don’t think the winters here are much different. While Boston is urban, it’s not sprawling, and is considered America’s Walkable City.

I will admit though that I’m a Road Cyclist and have not explored off-road riding, but I’m aware such a community exists here. Anyways as Rod Serling said on the Twilight Zone, "offered for your consideration."

BTW, you mentioned she “paddleboards.” If you mean human-powered water transportation, Boston is a center for rowing with the well-known Head of the Charles (River) Regatta in October, the largest two-day regatta in the world. Kayaking also is very popular along the Atlantic coastline.

PS: I just looked up paddleboarding. See this site (in Boston): Stand-Up Paddleboarding :: Charles River Canoe & Kayak

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-17-17 at 07:44 PM. Reason: added PS