View Single Post
Old 03-20-17, 04:59 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Rim brakes for Tandem?

I need help to identify a few good options for tandem brakes for canti posts that will work well with drop-bar road levers - I like Ergopower, but I can go a different way. I'm looking for suggestions (gonna duck now!)

On my steel Meridian frame, which I'm now building for the first time, I have cantilever posts. I see three options for what calipers to use.

1. Paul vintage-style cantis with Campagnolo or TRP drop-bar brake levers. I have these on my 650b with the silver drillium TRPs, and they work well, but are sensitive.

2. Used Shimano low-profile cantilever calipers - these seem to be kind of a Tiagra grade?

3. a V brake or mini-V brake.

I'm planning for this tandem to use Gen 2 Campy Ergopower levers, but I realize the pull ratios on some of these might not be well-suited to a heavy tandem with heavy riders. I put a set of Paul Mini-V (Mini-moto?) brakes on my wife's Terry, and they are quite powerful but also very sensitive. They also need a better optimized lever than a Campy Gen 3 Ergopower.

A really good combination doesn't just jump out at me.