Old 03-20-17, 11:43 AM
maartendc

Bikes: 1989 Cannondale 3.0, 2001 Trek 5200, 2010 BMC SLC01, Minerva MTB Hardtail

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
Crankset choice is an important Factor in the BB spindle length..

You have to buy a new Crankset of that kind, you show an OLd Square taper Crank ..

the 2 pieces you show are incompatible.. What do you want to Keep..?

Thanks, but you did not read my initial post: I have a square taper crankset installed now, but I have a Hollowtech crankset lying around that I will swap out for it. I know they are incompatible.

Originally Posted by corrado33 View Post
What bob said. Hollowtech BBs and cranksets don't have an adjustable "spindle length" They're one length. Just make sure you buy the right BB that'll fit your shell (68 mm vs 70 mm) and the hollowtech crankset should fit. (I make no guarantees.)

With that said, I don't often work with hollowtech II BBs or cranksets, so I could be wrong. Best to do your own research.
Thanks, that makes sense.

I was just wondering whether my old frame is somehow incompatible with the modern Bottom Brackets. I know Hollowtech BB always works with Hollowtech crankset, etc. etc.

(the reason I ask is because I know older frames have different spacing in the rear triangle 126 mm vs 130mm etc., so I was wondering if standards around the BB have changed too)