Old 03-20-17, 01:48 PM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1129 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maartendc View Post
Thanks, but you did not read my initial post: I have a square taper crankset installed now, but I have a Hollowtech crankset lying around that I will swap out for it. I know they are incompatible.

Thanks, that makes sense.

I was just wondering whether my old frame is somehow incompatible with the modern Bottom Brackets. I know Hollowtech BB always works with Hollowtech crankset, etc. etc.

(the reason I ask is because I know older frames have different spacing in the rear triangle 126 mm vs 130mm etc., so I was wondering if standards around the BB have changed too)
Ah. I think you'd be fine. I don't think it'd be so out of alignment that it wouldn't work. Sure, the middle of the crankset may not line up perfectly with the middle of the cassette/freewheel (I'm not sure either way), but small misalignments are tolerable. Especially in mountain biking.

The way to truly be sure though, is to look up the chainline for your old crankset + BB combination and your new crankset + bb combination. (That's probably not going to be easy.) What I would do is try to look up the chainline for a hollowtech II BB + crankset you want since it should be consistent, then simply measure yours.

But then again, there has been a chainline "standard" for MTBs for many years. All About Bicycle Chainline