Old 03-20-17, 05:45 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by kcblair
I recently acquired a '85 Bridgestone 500, single owner. That bike had not been grease since leaving the factory. The grease was like glue, that stuck my fingers together, trying to get the bearing out of every where. One of my bikes went 5 years, no lube and the grease looked and felt new.
About 1997 I was given my brothers '86 Bridgestone 400 that hasn't been ridden in about 10 years and the bottom bracket, hub and headset grease had hardened and dried out just like you describe. I don't know what grease Bridgestone used back then but it didn't have a great shelf life.

Originally Posted by kcblair
So, I think I will back off to every 2 years on 3 bikes and my Huffy touring maybe 3 years. It doesn't get ridden much, this year I plan a 100 mile camping trip, to celebrate my 70th Birthday.
For the mileage and conditions you describe every two or three years should be fine. Use plenty of good quality grease and rest easy.