View Single Post
Old 03-21-17, 06:54 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
My understanding is Schwalbe recommends 2 sealants, one for just installation, the other one for puncture resistance that one needs to re-fill. Is the latter needed with puncture-resistant tires? Or do they need it to seal the rim/tire interface better?

I haven't used full-factory-approved setups much, so I can't really tell.
I've met a few riders who've managed to get tires to seal entirely "dry". IME, most will need sealant.

Do note that puncture-resistant means exactly that. Puncture-resistant, not puncture-proof.

If you don't flat often, a spare tube and a pump will be overall easier to deal with than topping up on sealant.

right now my maintenance is to adjust pressure every once a while. Never had a flat. I was just thinking if one time I need to replace the tube, and now the tire, tubeless would be the way.
If you don't flat often, and aren't interested in running low pressures, and not too interested in chasing low rolling resistance, the benefits for you to go tubeless are small.

..it seems more difficult.

Different rather than difficult.
Yes, you'll need to muck about with sealants.
No, there's no tube to damage during install.

Some flats can be fixed by adding sealant instead of wrestling with a stubborn rim/tire combo. For a rider who finds tire/tube changes difficult, tubeless might offer an advantage.

This is an old bike....
Bicycles are very mature technology. Significant change is rare. Unless you're chasing a podium finish, old bikes can still be entirely useful and enjoyable.
If you like the bike, don't worry about accumulated age. Maybe think about remaining age.

... i also saw the "Ghetto"methods, but don't want to risk breaking down.

"Ghetto tubeless " is a bit experimental WRT how well the tire sidewalls will seal up.
But if it goes wrong that's a (slow) leak, not an instantaneous failure.

Most common (only?) sudden issue with "ghetto tubeless" is the tire "burping" from a combination of cornering and low pressure. Never heard about it happening at regular pressures.