View Single Post
Old 03-25-17, 09:03 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
I know this won't sit well with all but my first 10 speed, Peugeot UO-8, bought new on 1967. The plastic derailleurs were not intended for use by clueless teenagers and it didn't take long for the dropouts to get so mangled that using a rear derailleur was no longer feasible. Years 5-9 were spent riding single speed. Then I rode it fixed and never went back to a freewheel.

That bike was a huge part of my "growing up" as a rider. Riding Boston winters, training for racing, a core part of my life for years. It served me well and I rode it into the ground. Chainstay broke 1980. Had it welded. Ended the bike on a car door 1982 at 22,000 miles. Put the parts on a Japanese built Schwinn. What a step up! All 4 frames that followed the UO-8 were much better rides.

That bike was a huge part of my life. But a good bike? Nah. (Except those brakes. I now use much newer of the same as front brakes on both my all weather city bikes.)

Now, the bike that was the worst investment was the Lambert I bought 6 years later. I loved the ride but it had one detail that was completely life changing, and not for the better - the fork crown. Incredibly poor design. Its failure nearly cost me my life and did cost me thousands of dollars, years of my life and my profession. It also introduced me to racing and a couple of years of world class fitness, the highest of highs. I have very mixed feelings about that bike.

Ben (edit to correct typos)

Last edited by 79pmooney; 03-25-17 at 10:19 PM.