Old 03-26-17, 07:26 PM
TheWrench

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a discectomy too, on two levels. But after two years of PT, I had only seen marginal improvement. The therapist seemed to think something healed incorrectly or something reconnected in a way it shouldn't have. I've been on medication ever since.
But, I was up to 225 lbs (from the svelte 180 I used to be), and my blood pressure was raging at 205/130 (prior to going on meds for it). I had to do something. Anything. I'd made one attempt about a year after the surgery which resulted in severely increased local pain and sciatica, so I gave it up. Got rid of all my bikes and kit.
It was out of desperation, motivated by constant reminders of my mortality (at age 37!) that I tried again. And this time was different. I'm seeing progress from one ride to the next: My first ride was 8 miles in an hour in traffic, and I thought I was going to die. Never made it out of the small chain ring, even on the flats--or even on the slightly downhill grades. It was pathetic. Second ride was an hour on my indoor trainer while I watched some stand-up comedy. On my third ride, I rode 9 miles 7 minutes faster than I did the 8 miles on my first ride and got into the big chain ring--and when I got back home, I felt like I could've ridden farther. And on my most recent ride, this afternoon, I shaved another 7 minutes off of my 9-mile route and went up a gear. That even includes stopping to make a seat adjustment.
It's quickly grown into something exciting that I look forward to, and my pain is at an all-time low. I could cry, man. I know the progress won't continue like this forever, but I'll enjoy it while it lasts. And if my train wreck of a body allows me to stick with it, I'm buying a Kestrel Talon next year. The machine I'm on right now is literally vintage.