John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by bikenh
Originally Posted by John_V
You're right about the mental conditioning needed to do the same loop over and over again. However, I would be curious to know where you would go and ride to accomplish such a task? Hills would slow you down and ultimately wear you out much faster. You wouldn't ride where the seasons keep you off the bike because of snow and cold weather. You wouldn't travel from place to place to find the perfect place to ride as the travel time will decrease the number of total miles you can ride in that year. You wouldn't find a place to ride that makes you stop every few miles for crossroads, since that would decrease the number of miles you can do before it gets dark and constantly decrease your speed. Where would you go?
Where...ANYWHERE. You just have to want to do it. That's the real key secret to doing it. 15 mph * 18 hours a day * 365 days = 98,550 miles in one year. I ride 15 mph on average fully loaded touring, for 125 miles a day(only because that is all the more miles I'm trying to do...I did a 227 mile day fully loaded two years ago...nice easy day). I can go anywhere and average 15 mph, fully loaded. Might be a slight bit slower in the hills and a bit faster in the flat lands. Might be a bit slower during the winter months here in New Hampshire and faster during the summer months. It's not about where you do it, it's about wanting to do it and going out and doing it.

100,000 miles in one year isn't that hard if you stop listening to all the naysayers. Amanda is limiting herself by riding in the park which, I believe, she only has access to for 12 hours a day. She won't do out on the open roads and continue riding the extra hours of daylight during the summer months or ride after dark, err after 6 or 7PM when the park closes. She is limiting herself by her beliefs. Everybody looks at her and thinks what she is doing is great. I don't see it that way at all. She has limited her potential so massively its beyond belief. Between her and Kurt they have created this monster that someone is going to have to go out and destroy, maybe Steve will do it...rumors are abounding that he might be the first person since Tommy Godwin to go for the year long record challenge and ride a 300 mile day. At least I think from the video he posted it sounds like his first day was over 300 miles. Tommy rode 20+ 300 mile days back when he did his record, if I remember the count correctly. 14 or the 300 mile days were in July and 5 of them were back to back. Kurt didn't do any 300 mile days and Amanda hasn't either. Their not ultra cycling, their long distance cycling and limiting their true potential by doing it that way. Sure Amanda has the body injury issues that may be limiting her on its own accord. I can see the reason for riding in the park and staying off the open road but its called the open road for a reason. The park puts too many limitations on you and its all going to come down to to who can ride the fastest, not the farthest. Who can ride that loop the fastest. That's not ultra cycling by a long shot.

To ride 100,000 miles in one year you don't have to ride the fastest...you just have to ride the smartest.
So how come you aren't the current world record holder?

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress