View Single Post
Old 04-03-17, 06:11 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by Repack Rider

Martin D-18. A fairly ordinary Martin from the lower end of their catalog, but it's 50+ years old.

Made an offer to a guy for his Gibson ES-125 wrapped in a plastic garbage bag and leaning against the garage wall. He declined, then he said, "But you can have the amp." It was a better find than the axe. You can GET a Gibson.

This flawless 60 year old Danelectro had a fitted cover, so I hadn't noticed it. Later, my friend who did amplifier repair for big time rock bands rebuilt it, replacing every component with the highest quality of that part.

You can turn it up all the way with nothing plugged in. NO hum or buzz or any evidence it is even on. Loaned it to a friend who is a studio guitarist. Had to demand it back, it's his favorite amplifier. All 15 watts of R&R power.
One of these days I'll get a decent acoustic. Back when I had the money, and just a little inclination- checking out the Martin, Gibsons and Guilds- it struck me that I liked the sound of the ones from the 'lowers end of the catalogs,' and actually didn't like the HD28 or J200... which confused me.

And the Danelectro... I had one of the 2 6L6 "tuck in the back of the cabinet" with a single 15. Didn't like the way it sounded thru the 15- but it ruled with a 2x12. Where a Bassman would get all compressy around 6- this thing had less gain and would stay "open" sounding to 9. I sold that one to a studio.

I think there's something about the less expensive combos. My Gibson Falcon (19w) feels inexpensive compared to a Super or Deluxe or even a Princeton- but IMO it sounds better- and my guess is that thinner, lighter cabinet and baffle. But trust me, I won't kick a Deluxe Reverb out of bed for eating crackers.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.