View Single Post
Old 04-05-17, 03:35 PM
reppans

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
There's a huge stigma with folding bikes - the clown-bike thing is #1 with the macho types (bicyclists are mostly male), and the perceived speed/comfort/efficiency loss seems to turn off the rest. Of my quiver of bicycles and cycling needs, a folder is easily my best: tourer, commuter, utility, LCF bicycle and by a good margin (fail as an MTB though). Yet if you go over and scan through 'Let's see your ____ bike' threads on the same sub-forums on BF, and folders will represent <1%.

I have to admit that on my first mini-tour, it felt like I was losing 10-20% speed/efficiency/range vs my 700x32 gravel bike, but some TTs indicated it was half that, and a simple aero handlebar mod cut that gap in half yet again. I can tune comfort between them just with air pressure. Still, it'll never be a road racer.

Touring outside of urban areas, however... WOW rock star material, never had so many strangers approach to talk about it, take pictures, etc. I have to stop with the demo folds, or I'll prematurely wear it out. Sadly not that many young pretty things seem interested (not macho enough for them) but I'm going see if it might help my ugly self catch some rides hitchhiking some day.

BTW, I'm an RV'er (class B) and one or two folders are permanent resident under my bed/rear seat.

Last edited by reppans; 04-05-17 at 03:40 PM.