Old 08-02-01, 07:48 AM
ViciousCycle
Chicago Cyclist

Bikes: My frame is covered in reflective tape. After adding ridiculously large handlebars, a comfy seat, and enough carrying capacity to haul a Thanksgiving grocery run home, the manufacturer wouldn't recognize it.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Has bike commuting affected your career decisions?

For years, I've been a Chicagoland computer consultant, and the location of my assignments is a crap shoot. Sometimes, I can use a combo of bikes and/or trains to get to work. On the other hand, last winter, I had a 70 mile a day round trip car commute. I am therefore beginning a limited job hunt to find a job in the Loop, where I could use a bike or a train to get to work every day. I could get rid of my car, and save the costs of car payments, insurance, maintenance, repairs, auto club, gasonline, licensing, etc, as well as get rid of the unpleasantness of driving a car.

However, given the current economic climate, this is psychologically a difficult step for me to take. Companies that have no history of layoffs now consider it trendy to lay off workers. And if I do get laid off and need to find a replacement job fast, I wonder how much being car-free would limit the number of job opportunities open to me. (It's thinking like this that could keep me car-dependent for the rest of my working life.)

Has anyone out there gone through the issues involved in changing one's job in order to not be dependent on a car?

Last edited by ViciousCycle; 08-03-01 at 09:51 AM.