View Single Post
Old 04-09-17, 10:31 AM
Eyedrop

Bikes: 1999 Trek 2000T 47cm, 2017 Ribble R872 Ultegra Di2 47cm, 2010 Trek Top Fuel 9.8 15.5in

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How much do I have to spend?

I'm a die hard roadie. Since nobody in this town seems to ride road, im looking to get a MTB so I can hit some trails with friends.

I'm looking to get a bike that won't hold me back, but also nothing too fancy. For example, an alloy road bike under 20lbs with tiagra/105, decently light wheels, and low rolling resistance tires is all you need to compete at the local amateur level. A bike like that would never hold anyone back, it would all come down to fitness more than equipment at that point. What is the MTB equivalent to this? What should I look for?

Also, how much does proper bike fitting matter? On the road, it's crucial for long term comfort, injury prevention, and putting down the most power and aerodynamics. Is a MTB looser tolerances so to speak? I noticed road bikes typically come in 5-7 different sizes. But MTB is often just 15, 17, and 19... I'm 5'2" male, it's hard to find a bike that fits. Even alot of 15" bikes seem too big. Should I look for a kids bike or WSD?

Last edited by Eyedrop; 04-09-17 at 10:36 AM.