View Single Post
Old 04-09-17, 04:10 PM
cougarkite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
1970s? Raleigh Record in need of help!

So I have a couple of questions. I am trying to decide if it's worth the time and money to fix up my old Raleigh Record. I bought it back in 2007 and took some time to rebuild it then and got it running pretty good. Replaced the derailers, brakes, brake lines, greased, etc. Never replaced the crankset or the wheelset though. Now 10 years later, after a couple years having to be kept in the weather, the parts are in need of some attention. I still ride this bike to work most days, about 7 miles roundtrip, really not switching gears at all because they need some work and both wheels definitely need some work too. And brakes are pretty substandard. So the riding is okay but it'd be nice if it was awesome. So is it worth putting some money into getting new parts or I'm also open to buy a new, or used but in great condition, bike for around $450. My main concern with fixing up the Raleigh is the time. I don't have much free time and just want it done but afraid sending it to my LBS will cost a lot of $$$ especially since I'm living in NYC. So just looking for some opinions and also some recommendations on what parts/ brands to replace my Raleigh parts with.

-Nervar crankset
-Hurel front derailer
-Shimano SIS back derailer
-SunTour gear shifters
-"Centerpull" (?) brakes with pads not so good
-no clue with the wheels, can't find markings

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_5808.jpg (92.9 KB, 39 views)
IMG_5809.jpg (88.3 KB, 40 views)