Old 04-10-17, 06:45 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Kuakeye
I recently purchased a Trek FX 7.1 just to commute to school and also to get back into exercising. I usually bike around 20 miles once a week on relatively flat terrain. Hopefully I will eventually be able to bike much further.

One gripe I have about the bike is that the gear ratios are tailored towards mountain bike style gearing, and I find it way too slow for me. I am usually always on the highest possible gear ratio and still pedaling too fast. I can hardly go faster than 20-25mph without being completely winded from pedaling too fast. My legs at that point don't feel tired at all.

The configuration on my bike is stock: 28/38/48 on the crank, 7-speed 14-34 teeth cassette with a HUGE first gear (I never use this)
So I want to upgrade to something that will fit my needs better: making this hybrid bike act a bit more like a faster road bike than a hill-climbing mountain bike.

I found a few Shimano 7 speed cassettes with a lower sprocket of 12 teeth online, but I'm not sure if I can still keep my chain, or if I need to do anything with my derailurs, or anything else to consider. I figured that the lower teeth number on the cassette would help me to be faster whole maintaining a more comfortable cadence. If I went from 14 teeth to 12 teeth, how much faster would I go? Is it even worth the upgrade at that point?

Shimano CS-HG20 7-Speed Cassette, 12-28T (Amazon, apparently I can't post links until I've posted 10 times in this forum...)
Shimano CS-HG200 7-Speed Cassette - 12-32 (Amzn)
SRAM Pg-720 7Sp 11-25T Cassette (Amzn)

Also a question before buying anything, do I have to use Shimano cassettes since I have Shimano Acera derailurs?

Any tips or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I'm a complete beginner to the bike customization world. I've been riding old cheapo bikes for as long as I can remember. Thanks in advance!
The big gear is 93 gear inches, or 25 mph at 90 rpm cadence. If you are winded, your aerobic conditioning could be improved. Changing the gearing might improve things, but realistically, you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. The upright riding position of the hybrid is the biggest thing that will slow you down, and if you can maintain 25 mph on a hybrid, you are a strong rider indeed. But as you already said, you get winded maintaining that speed,