ClydeTim
Banned.

Bikes: Trek

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
I still consider 38/Valley of the Falls to be much tougher than GMR/GRR. There are flat bits and even little descents to catch your breath on GMR. Once you pass the ranger station on 38, it's uphill until the road ends.
I agree! The ride I did with buddies was from Calimesa (Stater Bros parking lot ?? along the fwy) to the top of Forest Falls. Luckily my wife drove support for us or I would have died of thirst on Damnation Alley.

Not sure of the course but we went through Cherry Valley (?), I know we went up Oak Glen, down to Bryant, Damnation Alley to Vivian Creek Trailhead (end of the road). I used the same bike I used on Ride Around the Bear and Breathless Agony. My old Cannondale with a 53/39 - 12/25 cassette. It was real tough on the last stretch. I remember going through a little town there, maybe a general store (?). I barely made it up with the gearing while having to stand. My wife pulled up on the side of me and asked how I was feeling. I think that was the first and only time I gave her the finger! Joking!

I was trying so hard to get up that I couldn't even answer. I have never felt anything like that on GMR or GRR.

The bike and gearing I used on those rides. I didn't even feel anything like the last stretch of FF on The Bear or BA. One of the guys with a Garmin on that ride said it was a 33% grade. I didn't have a Garmin a the time but it sure felt like 20+.

Last edited by ClydeTim; 04-12-17 at 02:22 PM.