RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany, 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
VC,

First let me say there is NO company or industry that can guarantee employment.

I worked for a large university here in Atlanta for 8 years. I had hopes of working for them for many years. But they got "new blood" and new thinkers in administration who decided that it would be much cheaper to outsource several jobs and departments. My department was one that got hit. I always thought working for a university meant "lifetime" employment.

Back to commuting: My wife and I both worked for the university (she's still there luckily) and we "carpooled" to work each day. On the days she was off I would ride my bike (5 miles).
Now that I work in another part of town I have started commuting 3 days a week to save money and the hassle of traffic. I'm hoping to increase to 5 days very soon.

Chicago is larger than Atlanta and has a much better transit system.
Depending on the type of work you are looking for, bike commuting should not limit the number of jobs open to you.
But you may want to "limit" your job searching to areas that are easy to get to by bike or bike/transit combinations.

Good luck :thumbup:

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.