View Single Post
Old 04-20-17, 10:20 AM
fsociety.dat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Classtime;19523444]If you are near Toronto, try Sweete Petes. There website has a Kona. And a Trek with Claris drive train for 1000$. If your mechanically inclined go used road bike and get something really sweet.

I'm definitely mechanically inclined, but I just worry about buying something used when my knowledge is so limited. I'm not opposed to the idea though. I checked out Sweet Petes and they both look like something that would work for me, especially that Trek.

Originally Posted by mcours2006
I would echo that if you buy used $1000 can get you a really nice ride. If you're not in a big metro area then selection might be limited.

Keep in mind the Miele from Brown's Sports is has disc brakes and is 11-speed, though I think they skimp on the crankset and brakes, which are not 105's. The Norco is a 9-speed, and the two recommended by ...is 8-speed, but both have eyelets for fender and rack mounts.
This is where the newness to the sport kicks in for me! I'm going to need to do a little bit more research to discover what gearing will be best for me.

Also, I've been looking at the Specialized Allez E5 Sport. Do you have any opinions on that setup? It looks like it would also fit my budget.

Originally Posted by kuroba
Just wanted to add, I have a similar commute with not so good roads (potholes, glass shards, etc) and hardpacked gravel on some sections, recently with 27mm tyres on my gravel bike and they work great, so you may not need much more.
You're commute sounds a lot like mine!