Old 04-20-17, 03:39 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
Survey finds bicyclists and motorists ignore traffic laws at similar rates

https://www.pri.org/stories/2015-07-...-similar-rates

The same type of people regardless of how many wheels are under them.
Totally incorrect. Myself and my cycling scofflaw buds (the ones I have driven with) drive motor vehicles very conservatively. In a car I give turn signals, stop completely AT every stop sign - not BEYOND them, stop for every red light and do not go just because I have a green light. On the freeway I set my cruise control at the Limit +2mph, which believe me is NOT the safest route to take much of the time. At least I am surrounded by steel. If traffic is behaving I set the cruise at the Limit - 2mph so I don't have to keep resetting it by catching up with slower traffic. In the city I get my rocks off making all of the other auto traffic behind me obey the law. Nothing beats stopping at every stop sign - completely - with ten cars behind me. Especially if there are a dozen stop signs in a row!

On a bicycle, in the city grid, I do WHATEVER IT TAKES to get to my destination safely i.e., as FAST as possible without expecting motorists to react to my presence. I yield only when FORCED to on a bike. I break every law on the books with glee.

BTW...I got one speeding ticket when I was 16 years old driving 35 in a 20. Just turned 59 and no tickets since then, other than parking tickets.

It's impossible to generalize these things.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 04-20-17 at 03:43 PM.