View Single Post
Old 04-21-17, 06:18 AM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I was expecting to ride home yesterday afternoon in rain but it didn't rain until late in the even and through the night which meant a rainy ride in to work but again, I missed it and the wetness was just water kicked up by my tires from the road. I'm wondering if my luck will hold out and I'll ride home without rain but now, I've probably jinxed that.

It was 4C/39F and damp of course so I wore my rain jacket to keep dry and because it wasn't that cold, I wore just a base layer of a long-sleeved merino shirt (a very light layer) and my buff, not on my head like a beanie but around my neck like a neck gaiter. Even dressed as light as that, with my jacket unzipped about 15cm/6" down from the top, I was still sweating a bit by the time I arrived at work. I was wearing fleece lined cycling tights with padded shorts underneath so that would have contributed to my body warmth but I don't have rain pants that I could have worn without tights underneath, just shorts. Therefore, I don't know how much more I can get rid of at these temps and in rainy, or at least wet, conditions to keep myself from sweating after only about 25 minutes of riding. In the summer, for commuting, I'd just bring a second set of jersey, shorts and socks and accept warm rain but 4C and wet might be a bit tough to go without rain protection. There's supposed to be some rain next week so maybe I'll try no tights and see how I do.

Saw two different fellows on two different days this week salmoning and I asked them both to ride on the right side of the road (a residential street with no traffic at the time). Both complied. I told my wife about these salmons and she replied, "Well, it's good they don't give you a badge or you'd be ticketing every cyclist in town".