View Single Post
Old 04-23-17, 10:45 AM
Dougbloch 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
My new CL goody: 1981 Univega Gran Rally

I picked up this beauty this morning for $100 from the second owner. The frame is clean except for some poor touch up paint. Has the all original Shimano 600 Arabesque group set including derailleurs, headset, shifters, and brake levers. Really beautiful stuff that I have always lusted after. Everything else seems to be SR on it, but I only took a quick look. Araya rims laced to (I think ) unmarked hubs. And a Huret odometer.

The Tange Champion tubing is not the lightest I have ever ridden but it is stiff, comfortable, and responsive. A Japanese built Univega! My first Japanese bike as a matter of fact.

At 57 cm I was afraid the frame was slightly too large for me but no such issues that I could readily see. In fact, some time I spent at Rivendell bike shop talking to those guys and getting measured by them might've convinced me that I've been riding frames that are too small for me. but that is a subject for a different post.

I am going to take this whole bike apart, clean it, polish it, replace all the bearings throughout, and enjoy it! And of course new cables. I will probably stick with the stock blue and either some blue or brown Newbaum's.

Here are some pictures the seller took. A screaming bargain if you ask me.