Old 04-24-17, 03:24 PM
ksisler

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by zanq
I'm exploring the idea of building a lugged frame or two, and have other minor uses for an oxy acetylene torch, so I'm researching the equipment I will need. I stopped at the local welding supply shop for a new welding helmet (I have some other welding to do) and asked about their torch setups. I had a little sticker shock on the quote for a full-size, homeowner setup - about $1200 (purchased tanks, torch kit, cart). Does this sound to be an appropriate ballpark figure?

I've seen the portable torch setups in many places:
Would one of these portable torch setups be enough for 1 bike frame, or is there not enough volume?

My other torch uses include freeing corroded nuts/bolts. This would only be on a project-to-project basis; I don't see me doing any large scale, full time cutting or bending of metal. The price of these portable torches is a bit easier to swallow but don't know if they have the burn time/output required.

Thanks!

T
I went that path originally and got very tired of it as kept running out of gas or oxygen in the middle of a job due to the little tanks (I did keep the little portable kit for going out in the pasture to weld up a broken cow gate, etc.). Given that most states (I think it is actually a Federal law) now prohibit buying tanks (except in those little kit sets), you have to lease the tanks, so lease a bigger set. When they get low, do the refill. When the born-on-date now mandated to be stamped into the tank reaches 10 years age, the tanks are purged/destroyed and your lease gets you new or younger tanks with no additional charge. The change keeps the rusty unsafe old tanks out of the market it is said.

When I had to replace my torch kits due to a shop break-in and theft, I was surprised at the quality and low cost for an authentic Victor brand medium kit like this one (comes with the cutting parts also). It is a marvel to use (recommend you get some extra tips in a few sizes though). The new gauges are awesome;

Recommended one: $263 delivered;

https://www.amazon.com/Technologies-...ding+torch+kit

This is one of many available tank carts. This one is about $85 delivered. Just be sure to chain it to the wall so no accidents happen with someone knocking your tanks over (ends badly). Also be sure to follow the rules on transporting the tanks.

https://www.amazon.com/Steel-Welding...ding+tank+cart

Hope that helps some
/K