Old 04-26-17, 03:44 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
You're assigning too much meaning to the clothing.

People may wear that stuff for practical reasons, ie the helmet for protection, the shorts and jersey for comfort, and the shoes and gloves simply because they prefer to. That doesn't mean they have any illusions about being part of the road culture you seem to believe exists.

Then there may be a retired racer who dresses that way because he always did, and doesn't have a reason to stop. Or an active racer out training, who simply prefers not to be drafted by unknowns, outside of the sanctioned, licensed race environment. He might even be a cat 3 or 4, who doesn't some cat 1 poseur (as you might describe him) on his ass. Or he might be OK with drafting, but consider that particular stretch or road as unsuited for close riding.

So, kit is a meaningless basis to assume one would or should be OK with you latching onto his rear. The simple rule, based on common courtesy, is to assume nothing at all, and not to draft strangers outside of conditions where it's clearly OK, ie. a race.

of course, you can always pull alongside, introduce yourself and ask if that person wants to alternate drafts with you.
This is me. I have a couple stretches of road and even parts of the local MUP where I will do intervals of various lengths. If I'm in the middle of an interval set, I'd rather not have a stranger on my wheel. As soon as the interval is up, I'm going to sit up and soft pedal and don't want someone running into my wheel. And although I would normally appreciate it, I don't want you to pull because I'm trying to maintain a target wattage.

But really, just ask. It's nothing personal.