Old 04-27-17, 12:38 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I'm sorry you came to that conclusion! NYC might be safer for cycling than other places because it's so common. I don't think the likelihood of dying on a bike is unusually high here. The problem the article addresses is what happens if you do.

I could show your daughter how to ride safely and comfortably in traffic, if that helps. I've taught many adults and children.
Well, I think "safer for cycling than other places" might be a 'relative' comparison. What really caught my attention was the quote from the article "There were more than 3,000 crashes (in NYC) causing serious injury or death last year,...". That's 3000 more crashes than there were in our town and surrounding communities during the same period. And as I mentioned...she didn't ride a bike much growing up...nor has she been on one since high school as far as I know. So, I think that someone like that taking off on a bike in Manhattan would be like a non-swimmer jumping into the deep end of a pool. I don't know if 'howsteepisit' has parented before...but yeah...of course she should grow a set. But...she's a smart kid. She may not like what we tell her, but she respects it (although she may not verbalized that to us). And in the end she realizes that we're just looking out for her safety. And as FBinNY stated...as long as she's living there on our dime...she realizes that we could cut the purse strings real quick.

Dan