Old 04-28-17, 09:29 AM
tmac100

Bikes: More bicycles than I can ride at one time: 2 custom made tourers, a Brompton 6-speed, and an Indian-made roadster.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
I tour in Australia. For $1000 AUD I tour for anywhere between 4 to 6 weeks. The longest trip was 2747 km on the paved road between Perth and Peterborough, SA. I did that in 30 days at a cost of $1K (July-Aug 2015). A more remote tour was July-Aug 2006 when I also spent $1K and rode 2100 km mostly on dirt roads between Cairns and Darwin.

It appears costs are greater in Canada/USA but I had low costs because I usually wild camped and cooked many meals on my SIGG Tourist stove.

Thanks for providing more details about your trip. If I were touring on Canada/USA I would camp as much as possible and take $100/day hoping to spend only for food etc. Camping would be ad-hockery but I would pay if I had to - still cheaper than a hotel/motel.

BUT if I could stay in a motel on a rest day, I would certainly consider that as the physical and psychological benefits of occasional comforts have many benefits. Travelling in the rain would add to the expenses and slow me down, methinks - but I don't have much experience with that in my Australian travels.